Memory, swap, and limits

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Wed Jun 18 16:06:33 UTC 2008

Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> 	OK; but then there's something else I don't know, or don't
> understand. Does a Fedora machine do any swapping while it has memory
> left? I didn't think I had (or needed) any control at all over swapping,
> beyond choosing how much space to afford it.

What I have seen is that when the system needs memory, it will swap
out idle programs, and it will leave them swapped out until they are
needed again. (This is a somewhat simplified explanation...) It will
even use freed memory for thing like disk cache instead of swapping
the programs back in.

Mikkel