Renaming a User

Thom Paine painethom at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 16:13:15 UTC 2008

Prollie just as easy to create a new account and then move stuff. I am
wanting to move to LDAP, but haven't got that figured out yet.And by
moving I just meant copying the documents to a common folder, and then
back into the users documents folder. Exporting email and reimporting
under the new account.

Thanks for the reply Craig.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 11:44 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
>> I was wondering if it's possible to quickly and easily switch a
>> username on a samba controlled domain. I have a user who got married
>> and I need to change her login from sgillies to scampbell. Is there a
>> quick way I could do this, or do I need to create a new user and then
>> copy her data over? I've been reading, but I can't find anything to
>> clearly tell me if I can or not.
>>
>> This in on a Windows XP network with a Samba DC.
> ----
> sure but you'd have to change...
>
> /etc/passwd (or wherever user accounts are stored)
> /etc/shadow (or wherever user passwords are stored)
> the users $HOME directory
> smbpasswd (or tdbpassdb or wherever samba user accounts/passwords are
> stored)
>
> If you were using LDAP, you'd probably already understand this and could
> make the changes.
>
> I wouldn't recommend doing any of that...a user account is a user
> account and they should just continue to use the same login.
>
> If you create a new account and try to 'move' stuff, you are gonna have
> to use the profile migration tool from Microsoft to move the users
> 'profile' to the new account.
>
> Craig
>
> --

-=/>Thom