How do I login to XFCE?

Knute Johnson linux at www.knutejohnson.com
Wed Jun 18 23:01:38 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
>
>> So I'm looking at my gdm login screen now and I don't seen any button
>> or option to select another session.  Is there another package that I
>> need besides the groupinstall XFCE that I already did.
>
> No. Again, make sure you  have done a groupinstall(xfce4-session package
> must exist), click on a username in GDM login screen. You need to do
> that before you see a session menu. It works perfectly fine on several
> Fedora 9 systems I have done this with.
>
> Rahul

xfce4-session-engines-4.4.2-3.fc9.i386
xfce4-session-4.4.2-3.fc9.i386

are installed.  I did a yum groupinstall XFCE and I can start it by
starting Gnome and running init 3 from the command line and then
startxfce4 after logging in to the command prompt.

When the computer starts and I select myself as a user the login window
shows my name, a password field, a Cancel button and a Log In button and
that's it.  Clicking, double clicking or right clicking anywhere produce
nothing else.

--

Knute Johnson
linux at www.knutejohnson.com