A question for the open source people

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Thu Jun 19 01:18:11 UTC 2008

Michael Harpe wrote:
> What I have always been curious about is this: how many of you
> actually take advantage of the open source? In other words, how many
> of you really take the source code and do something with it?
>
> Personally I don't. I can program in C, i'm pretty good at it. I've
> just never felt the need to alter the software I use. I'm fine with
> waiting for the new versions as they come out.

I tweak things frequently.  Perhaps more importantly, I use the source
code to help ferret out bugs in the programs I run.  Often, I can even
provide a patch with my bug reports, even when I'm not all that
proficient in the language the program is written in. :)

Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -- Thomas Paine