A question for the open source people

Mike 42flicks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 02:13:05 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Frank Cox <theatre at sasktel.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 17:47:29 -0700 (PDT)
> Michael Harpe <mharpe79 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > What I have always been curious about is this: how many of you actually
> take advantage of the open source? In other words, how many of you really
> take the source code and do something with it?
>
> In terms of actual source code that I have submitted for the "public good",
> the
> only things I can think of in the past couple of years are a (very) small
> contribution to xmame, a credit card verification thing and a
> special-purpose string comparison routine.  Nothing of any interest to 99+%
> of
> people around here, though, and xmame isn't, strictly speaking, an open
> source
> project within the currently accepted meaning of the term.
>
> --
>
> --

I was just reading a comment on slashdot (don't have time to quote it) but
it was along this lines of: the greatest benefit is that the people who have
the time / ability to take advantage of open source can.

All the software on my home machine is open source. I havn't taked advantage
of this directly (though plan to) but I'd be interesting to see the state of
each product I use if it had been released closed source. This is my
advantage in using open source.