Fedora 9 installation

TV Sivaraman tvsraman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 11:20:46 UTC 2008

I presume you are able to run your FC9 install on command mode. Nvidia has
been a problem, I should know, I have been using RH or FC with Nvidia since
5 years now. If your FC9 is ok in command mode or Run Level 3 (init 3) mode
then, you can try either building the Nvidia module from the package
provided by Nvidia (www.nvidia.com/downloads) or download the rpms from
either rpm.livna.org or atrpms.net. I find the Nvidia package much easier.
To be able to run Nvidia package from Nvidia site you would require the
kernel-devel rpm to be installed in your system for the kernel you are using
on your FC9. By the way there seems to be no kernel-devel for the kernel
bundled with the DVD, therefore, you may first need to do a yum update for
your system and then do the  following:
1. download the Nvidia package from Nvidia site (www.*nvidia*
.com/page/drivers.html), the package begining *173.14.09 (32-bit) and **177.13
(64-bit) should work.*
2. yum install kernel-devel (this would install kernel-devel rpm)
3. Log as root in run level 3 or command mode.
4. chmod +x <nividia package>
5. sh <nvidia package>
this should install nividia drivers and modify xorg file for nvidia
graphics.
For the second method: download and install a) kmod-nvidia-173 or
kmod-nvidia-177 and b) kmod-nvidia - <kernel version>. You can also do a yum
install also with livna repository data.
Sivaraman.

2008/6/19 Sriram Ramaswamy <sr2701 at gmail.com>:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am a total newbie to Linux (less than a week) and open source and I began
> my experiments with Fedora and I have to admit its one very cool system.
>
> My problems began with trying to install the Fedora core 9 64 bit version.
> The anaconda installer identifies my Nvidia Ge Force card perfectly but
> after that X server begins its work it just halts. This happens even in the
> 32 bit version. I thought I might have burned the DVD wrong and retried with
> a fresh new DVD but it still halted.
>
> This is odd because I have tried installing FC 8 32 and 64 bit version and
> they both work fine. The 64 bit also lets me install the latest release of
> the Nvidia driver with no problems.
>
> This is my computer's hardware configuration. I have a AMD Phenom 9500 Quad
> Core Processor 1.80 GHz, 4 GB DDR RAM, NVidia GeForce 8600 GT Display
> adapter, Atheros L1 Gigabit Ethernet Controller.
>
> Suggestions please.
>
> Please note this is my first time here and if I am breaking any rules by
> sending out this mail please do let me know.
>
> --
> Sriram.
> http://macroeconomy.in/
>
> --