A question for the open source people

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:07:53 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 17:47 -0700, Michael Harpe wrote:
> What I have always been curious about is this: how many of you
> actually take advantage of the open source? In other words, how many
> of you really take the source code and do something with it?

It's been many years since I've done any serious programming, but I was
a manager for 10 years or so before retiring and becoming a consultant,
so I could order other people to do it :-) Our university mail and web
services depend 100% on free software and a lot of it has been tuned and
modified for local conditions. This would have been out of the question
with any of the proprietary options, aside from which we couldn't
possibly have afforded them.

poc