Fedora ain't playin' around w/Firefox 3.

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 19 15:15:25 UTC 2008

--- On Thu, 6/19/08, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Fedora ain't playin' around w/Firefox 3.
> To: fedora-list at redhat.com
> Date: Thursday, June 19, 2008, 6:55 AM
> On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 23:57 -0700, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> > > I'm afraid you've lost me completely.
> > > don't understand how you can
> > > put this interpretation my comment.
> > >
> > No you did not lose me, firefox did :(  I understand
> what is going on,
> > Why did we not know ahead of time that they might pull
> this kind of
> > trick.  I was told that we do not need to click
> anywhere to accept a
> > license, that software provided is here for us, but we
> need not accept
> > any license(s) imposed,
>
> Have you installed and used FF 2 via rpm? On Fedora I
> recall clicking on
> a licence agreement on first run. IIRC this is not new (the
> services
> part is, see below).
No, I did not install FF2 vith an rpm, it was installed by default when I installed Fedora many moons ago.

> > This came out as soon as firefox 3.0 was released
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/static/firefox/
> >
> > which points to the license
> >

> http://fedoraproject.org/static/firefox/website-services-agreement.html
> >
> > indirecty we have to accept or disable the
> "services".
>
> 1) The "services" aren't the browser and thus
> are in no way involved
> with the freeness of the software, and 2) if you disagree
> then simply
> disable them.
If I can convince myself to use it, then yes definitely I will do 2)

> > The accompanying version of Mozilla Firefox utilizes
> website
> > information services ("Services"), such as
> safe-browsing features,
> > which are provided by the Mozilla Corporation and made
> available to
> > you under additional terms. By using the Services, you
> consent to the
> > terms of the referenced Mozilla Firefox Website
> Services Agreement. If
> > you do not agree to these terms, do not use the
> Services and disable
> > the Services in Edit > Preferences > Security
> and uncheck the options
> > for both: "Tell me if the site I'm visiting
> is a suspected attack
> > site" and "Tell me if the site I'm
> visiting is a suspected forgery".
> >
> > We did not need to do this before.
>
> You didn't need to because FF 2 didn't have these
> facilities. They are
> new in FF 3.
Great!

> >  This is all and it is simple, right.  But that does
> not mean that
> > they do not have any trackware/spyware added?  Are
> there other things
> > that we need to look out for?
>
> If you are worried then download the source and look at it.
> Rebuild it
> if you want. That's the ultimate guarantee of free
> software.
Just to use firefox, no I do not want to waste time.  I can use konqueror and it works.  No need to agree to anything.

> > I am just concerned now that somehow they are imposing
> their will on
> > us and flexing their muscle.
> >
> > * To those that also use Ubuntu,  Did firefox do the
> same thing on
> > Ubuntu? or did it just happen here?
>
> I installed FF 3 on Ubuntu yesterday and can't honestly
> remember.
Sad, Maybe them (Ubuntu) do not worry their users :), is this version of Firefox rebranded, i.e, Iceweasel from Debian?

> > I see this with new AVG 8.0 Free Edition that it adds
> a Toolbar and it
> > tries to tell you which sites are safe/not safe.  That
> is the price to
> > pay if you do not want to pay $$ to Avg to protect
> you, you can get
> > the product, but you will have to help out in a way or
> another.
>
> What has this got to do with FF? Is AVG free software (i.e.
> libre, not
> just gratis)? BTW your mention of Opera earlier on is also
> off base.
> Opera is gratis but not libre.
I just was making a point that to use it, you have to agree to something.  Kind of like Firefox you have to agree with the "services", and if you don't you have to uncheck the boxes that they provided.

> > Now the same can be said of firefox.  You can tell
> firefox, which
> > sites are safe and which ones are not, google collects
> some data about
> > which sites you visit and ..., this is the part that
> makes me
> > concerned.  Otherwise, I would not have responded or
> asked in the
> > first place.  We have to read carefully and the fine
> print that is
> > also hard to read.
>
> Once again, if this worries you then disable it. At least
> Mozilla
> clearly states up front what is involved, which cannot be
> said for a lot
> of other crapware out there.
Is there any crapware out there that made its way into Linux that I need to be concerned about?

> poc
>
> --

Regards,

Antonio