Somewhat OT, R/W access to UFS from recovery CD

Styma, Robert E (Robert) stymar at alcatel-lucent.com
Thu Jun 19 22:07:13 UTC 2008

I have some machines which were left by someone
who left the company some years ago.  They ware loaded
with Solaris 7 and have UFS file systems.  They
also have SCSI disks and my Solaris 10 boot CD does
not have the correct drivers, thus it cannot see the
disk.

I have tried booting from the System Rescue CD and
the UBUNTU cd and the FC8 recovery CD.  Two of the
three can access the UFS file system, but only in
read only mode.  I get a message saying that UFS
support was only compiled in read only mode.

Does anyone know of a Linux boot from CD which has
the UFS read/write compiled in?  I just need to tweek
the password file so I can get into these boxes.
I would rather not have to build a custom kernel and
then build a bootable CD from it.

Bob Styma
Phoenix, AZ, USA