NM alternatives for wireless

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 23:52:06 UTC 2008

On 6/20/08, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Go read the source code and you'll see why its not packaged with
> Fedora.  It may work for some users, but it is a thorough hodge-podge
> and packaging with with rpm is a peculiar task.

It seems it is doable though: the second half of this page
http://wicd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=fedora
tells how.

> I think you should take a calm breath and figure why NM does not work
> for you.  I was an NM hater, but have now found it works 100% of the
> time on routers that allow DHCP (not static IP wire, but DHCP wire is
> OK too).

It's not so much that it doesn't work but that I don't like the way it
does when it does. I like to have the final say in what AP we connect
to.

> If you don't run gnome, as I often don't, you should start the network
> manager applet with a script like so:
>

> $ cat bin/my-nm-applet
> eval "`gnome-keyring-daemon`"
> export GNOME_KEYRING_PID
> export GNOME_KEYRING_SOCKET
> rm nohup.out
> nohup nm-applet &
> # kill $GNOME_KEYRING_PID
>

> Of course, before you do that, make absolutely sure that the "network"
> service is OFF, wpa_supplicant must be OFF, and NetworkManager must be
> ON.

Ah, so these are the missing bits that nm-applet needs!
Thanks for this, and the different perspective!

Andras