Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Jun 20 20:24:10 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 14:29 -0500, Paul Johnson wrote:

>>> Speak for yourself.
>>> I doubt if you speak for anyone else.
>>> You certainly don't speak for this KDE user.
>>>
>>> --
>> He is speaking for me.  I was a RedHat / Fedora user 10 years, 1 month
>> ago, I became an Ubuntu user.
>>
>> Being a beta tester for RedHat is OK as a way of life, but the other
>> companies for which I test stuff give me free samples :)
>>
>> It never came clear to me until I read Ann Wilson's post in this
>> thread:  "We should always remember that Fedora
>> does not set out to be the stable desktop required in most production
>> situations.  You use it at your peril,  The fact that it actually
>> works in most situations is a bonus."
>>
>> It never really struck me that way: if you use Fedora, you don't have
>> a reason to expect that  your PC will actually work. Well, I do need
>> it to start up sometimes so I can read this group.
> ----
> I wouldn't recommend using Anne's comments as a barometer for your
> decision but rather your own expectations.
>
> It is true that Fedora, since it's inception, chooses to be a leading
> edge of development and yes, there is some stability that is sacrificed
> for that goal. There are a number of 'stable' versions of Linux
> including RHEL/RHWS/CentOS/Scientific Linux all based off RHEL or the
> various Debian variations including Ubuntu/Kubuntu and SuSE, Mandriva
> and so on. It never hurts to be familiar with all of the various Linux
> distributions and evaluate whether one of the others meets your
> expectations more than Fedora. My experience is that each Linux
> distribution has its own strengths and weaknesses and that all Linux
> users benefit from having options.
>
> Generally, the notion of release early/often - even if all the features
> are fully implemented is a philosophy that has served Linux and all the
> packages on Linux well. In fact, it's clear that Microsoft and Apple
> release their new versions of their OS with many known bugs so I see a
> parallel there. When new versions of packages are incorporated, it
> hopefully garners a lot of attention, useful bug reporting by users and
> things are fixed over time. I actually appreciate being part of the
> process and have learned that software perfection never really exists.
> The best you ever get is that it performs to your expectations and I
> guess I always want more.
>
> Those on Fedora who use KDE and want everything to be perfect should
> probably still be on Fedora 8 though I really have few complaints with
> KDE and Fedora 9 these days...it does however suffer from feature
> regression. I appreciate that this is just a temporary condition and
> that many are working on rectifying these shortcomings.
>
> By the way...I've never experienced a Fedora (i386, x86_64 or ppc)
> installation that didn't work...so yeah, I actually expect it to work
> and it has always met that expectation.

A very clear, well thought out response, Craig.  Thank you for echoing
my feelings exactly (well, I don't use KDE. but...).

I am still on F8 for the "important" stuff, although I just set up an
F9 system because a package I needed required Tomcat6/JRE6.  I am in no
way a Tomcat or Java maven and didn't want (read "didn't have time") to
try to install from tarballs.  The only distro I saw with it was F9, so
it got used.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-     I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!       -