problems w/ net (http) install

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri Jun 20 20:16:24 UTC 2008

Matt Nicholson wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>
> So, I'm trying to setup a local server for some net-installs I hope to do
> with a kickstart file. I am, however, running into an issue.
>
> I have a copy of the fedora 9 install media on the web server that the
> install will be pulled from, and everything is in tip top shape. This server
> is actually a fairly new Xserve, and I am using it simply because it is
> available, has to disk-space and bandwidth, and is a pretty fast system for
> multiple systems to kickstart aganst. I would rather be doing this off a
> Fedora/RHEL server, but, this is what I have for the time being.
>
> Anyways, I've rsync'd the install media to the server, and its accessible,
> however, durring the install, I always get a file or two (sometimes
> different, sometimes the same), that anaconda spits back at me, saying it
> could not find/read the file, make sure its not currupted, etc etc etc. I
> can reboot, or retry, and retry always works, that is, until it hit the next
> file ti doesn't like. I get about 3-4 of these per install, EVERY TIME. I've
> checked, the files are there, they are the right size, I've even done an MD%
> of them and they match their sources. I even re-rsync'd the whole thing a
> few times.If this is a one time deal, I wouldn't mind, but I need to be able
> to basically start an install (via kickstart) and walk away.
>
> Now, normally, I would just say forget it, and do it over FTP, but FTP on
> this Xserver is very, very slow, and my installs, while succeeding without
> error, are about 10 times longer with the same package set. Also the network
> alyout means NFS is off the table as well.
>
> Any ideas? I would love any insight.

Are the the failling packages big ones?  If so, you may want to turn up
the wick on the TCP keepalives, client timeouts and make sure you're
not limiting the size of a "served" page on the web server.  It's
possible that the connection is being terminated in the middle of the
file transfer.  A retry would pick up the parts of the file that didn't
get there the first time.

Just an idea.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -