Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 21 11:58:11 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 12:34 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 21 June 2008 12:16:20 Craig White wrote:
> > > My first reaction to finding that I didn't have desktop icons for my nfs
> > > shares was a feeling of loss, yet I can open those shares in either
> > > dolphin or konqueror, so it's really no more than a minor inconvenience.
> > >  The same goes for most of the other things that are 'missing'.
> > >  Work-arounds exist, while work goes on to fix the situation.
> >
> > ----
> > FWIW...I found that this behavior stopped when I went to autofs mounting
> > anyway so it's no loss.
>
> ?? A change to fstab, I presume?  Example of current line is
>
> 192.168.0.40:/home /mnt/servername_home nfs nosuid,exec,rw,bg,soft,intr 0 0
>
> Do you mean change 'nfs' to 'autofs'?
----
I don't use fstab to do nfs mounts anymore...that's so yesterday  ;-)

but the answer is no...there are no nfs mounts in fstab needed when you
use autofs

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Automount.html

this is a good general explanation...
http://tldp.org/linuxfocus/English/January2001/article141.shtml

There are a lot of benefits to doing it this way...they are soft mounts
and not hard mounts. I can change the mounts simply by changing LDAP and
not having to change each computer (LDAP is not necessary for autofs but
is certainly a big plus).

Craig