Web page problem

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jun 21 13:11:06 UTC 2008

On Saturday 21 June 2008, Tim wrote:
>On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 11:35 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> I have setup a softlink from /var/www/html/gene/linkname
>> That points to another directory here, owned by a different user.  All
>> that has been chown'ed to apache:apache as I just noted some of it was
>> owned by root.
>
>For what it's worth, it's not a good idea to chown webserveable files to
>Apache.  That'll (usually) let the webserver write all over them.  The
>usual way to webserve files is to have someone else own them, and make
>the directories and files world readable.

I did have them set that way originally, and you are right, I should swap them
back to a user.

Nope, thru <http:me.homelinux.net:85/gene/> etc.

>Or that you're browsing a file listing produced by the webserver?
>e.g. http://localhost/gene/

Which also works.

>> I cannot actually view, from a web browser, any of the text files
>> there displayed, or start a download of any of the compressed files
>> that may be there.
>>
>> Just for grins I fired up FF-2.0.0.14, and it works fine.  Is there
>> some option I need to enable in FF3?
>
>Using the Firefox 3 that came with Fedora 9 (current update to it), I've
>not come across any cases where it won't download something from my
>webservers that the older Firefox would.

This is the FF3 distribution tarball version.

>What sort of things are you trying to download?  Are they anything that
>might appear to be like a Firefox add-on, which might be blocked by
>preferences?  (Though I'd expect a warning, rather than silent
>blocking.)
>
>If it weren't for things working in one browser, but not another, I'd be
>suspecting a SELinux issue (the contexts of your files not being
>webservable), or plain old permissions issues (files being world
>readable, and directories, and all parent directories, being world
>readable).

Apache doesn't own these, and setroubleshooter is running, so I would be
instantly advised of a selinux perms problem I believe.

>Another thing that springs to mind:  Is it downloading them, but doing
>it in the background?  (No indication that it's doing a download, no
>indication that it's done.)  Have a look in your downloads directory.

No, they aren't there.

Thanks Tim.

--
Cheers, Gene