ssh tunnel problems

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Sat Jun 21 14:22:31 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 23:01 -0500, Kevin Martin wrote:

> Rick Bilonick wrote:
> > I'm using Fedora 8 on a server behind a firewall (with incoming ssh
> > blocked) and my computer at home.
> >
> > I did the following on the server:
> >

> > > ssh -R 5000:localhost:22 me at home
> > >

> > which connected to my home computer after I entered the password. (I
> > could list files, etc.) I also set up /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server
> > to keep the connection open.
> >
> > At home I entered (using the password for user=server on the server):
> >

> > > ssh server at localhost -p 5000
> > >
> > ssh: connect to host localhost port 5000: Connection refused
> >
> > I've tried adding:
> >
> > sshd : ALL : allow
> > portmap : ALL : allow
> >
> > to /etc/hosts.allow but still get the same message. I have no idea why
> > I'm not able to connect to the server through the ssh connection. I can
> > ssh out from the home computer to other servers with port 22 not
> > blocked.
> >
> > Rick B.
> >

> Rick,
>
> On your home machine, does a netstat -an | grep 5000 show you a
> listening port?  When do you get if you add the -v flag to your
> connection attempt from your home computer?
>
> FWIW, your use of localhost on both the server side and the home side
> makes this a very confusing read.
>
> Kevin
> --

Here's what I get:

[chippy at localhost ~]$ netstat -an | grep 5000
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:50001             0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

[chippy at localhost ~]$ ssh server at localhost -p 5000 -v
OpenSSH_4.7p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8b 04 May 2006
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 5000.
debug1: connect to address 127.0.0.1 port 5000: Connection refused
ssh: connect to host localhost port 5000: Connection refused

I'm using "localhost" because I was following an example. I guess I
could substitute an IP for localhost. Isn't "localhost" just another
name for the local computer? So on the first use of ssh, localhost
refers to the server and on the second use of ssh, it refers to the home
computer. At least, that's what I believe.

Rick B.