Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Marcelo Magno T. Sales mmtsales at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 16:50:22 UTC 2008

Em Sábado 21 Junho 2008, Patrick O'Callaghan escreveu:
> On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 16:15 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > Isn't ctrl-alt-backspace meant to kill X, rather than shutdown?
> > (I could be wrong as I never use it.)
>
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace kills the X server. It's not clear to me whether
> there is any practical difference between doing that and hitting a
> "log out" button. Presumably the latter could give the various apps
> time to clean up, but I'm not sure if it actually does this.

Logging out closes only the desktop environment you were using and the
applications that were running in it. CTRL+ALT+BS kills X and the
graphical login manager too, so it re-reads the xorg.conf file (if you
have altered it, this is needed), reload video drivers (if you have
updated it, this is needed) and reload the xdm/gdm/kdm configuration,
among other things that are not done if you simply log out.
Also, of course and as you've said yourself, if you kill X then the
running applications do not have the chance to quit gracefully and save
their data.

[]'s
Marcelo