How to boot from floppy to install Fedora 9 from CD?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 17:29:08 UTC 2008

cjakeman wrote:
> Hi,
> I've downloaded Fedora 9 and burned onto 6 CDs in ISO format hoping to install on an old PC in place of WinME. I find that the PC won't boot from the CD drive - probably too old.
>
> How can I proceed? Do I need boot.img? Where can I get it from?

The boot.img you need for a 2.6 kernel has never fit on a floppy.  There
are several other approaches, the simplest being a floppy boot that can
proceed to boot the CD.  This was the first thing that popped up in a
search but it should work regardless of the OS:
http://en.opensuse.org/Install_on_PC_that_can't_boot_from_CD

Or, if the PC will boot from a USB flash device you can put the boot
image on that (but if it won't boot from CD you are probably out of luck
there too).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com