Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 02:15:57 UTC 2008

Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sat June 21 2008 16:53:07 David Boles wrote:
>
> KDE 4.0 was released on schedule in January.  KDE 4.1 is still on track
> for July.

So you did see the proposed schedule? And were aware of the possible problems.
Good work.

> Most Fedora and Ubuntu releases are on time.  Which distro do you use?

I use Fedora. I normally use Rawhide because I do not have a production
system. I can live with the often problems. Since i do not really follow
releases, mine is a daily release, I don't recall if it was Fedora 7 or Fedora
8 that was late.

> Yes, I answered your questions.
>

> We installed F9 on test boxes.  F9 is not deployable because of KDE 4.
> We did not put F9 on any production boxes.
>
> Please see the subject of this thread.  The question is not whether
> people were surprised by KDE 4.  Everyone knows KDE 4 will take a
> while before it's useful.  Even Aaron is disappointed that critical
> functionality missed not only 4.0 but also 4.1.
>
> The question is whether Fedora would provide a migration path by
> supporting KDE 3.5 in F10.  And the answer was a resounding "this
> is too difficult so go use another distro".

Hmm... so you are saying that Fedora should continue to provide support for
KDE 3.5.9. A DM that has, it appears, been dropped by KDE for their new
release. KDE 4.x.

Since, again it appears, that there won't be any new KDE 3.5.9 'stuff' from
KDE just what would you expect Fedora to do? Write 'stuff' for KDE?

If you read what Anne wrote Mandriva is trying the duel path. And it fails
miserably. So you want Fedora to follow that path too? Why?

One question. If, *if*, KDE is mission critical for you just why did you/are
upgrading? Why not wait for Fedora 10 and a maybe more stable KDE?

It has been years ago but I seem to recall a very similar situation when KDE
went from 2.x to 3.x.

If you tried KDE 4.0 and it was not suitable I gather that you stayed with F-8
and KDE 3.5.9? Or did you upgrade anyway? Bitching and whining about this
solves nothing. Fedora is *not* in control of what KDE does. But *you* are in
control of what you do with your machines.

And as for a "a migration path"? You have one. Stay with stable Fedora 8/KDE
3.5.9 or upgrade to Fedora 9 with KDE 4.x and live with it untill it functions
as you wish. The choice *is* yours to make. Do it. Or don't do it. Pick one.

As for complaining? Wrong list. Go to a KDE list, or their bugzilla, and bitch
and whine there.

This topic is getting boring. I'm done here.
--

   David