special ftp server configuration

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sun Jun 22 15:14:57 UTC 2008

Martin Jürgens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm searching a ftp server which i can configure to do this:
>
> user a: write access to ftpdir and ftpdir/income
> user b: read access to ftpdir, write access to ftpdir/income
>
> I'd be glad if someone could give me a hint on how to realize it a slick
> way. I know some windows servers like filezilla with which realizing
> such situations is no problem, but I sadly do not have an idea on how to
> do this with linux, although I am neither a google- nor a a
> configuration-file hater ;)
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Martin

I haven't done it, but you should be able to do this on a binary split
basis with vsftpd.  Do   man vsftpd.conf   and look at the ftp_user and
guest_user descriptions.  You can give them different abilities, so the
people you want to have restricted write ability become anonymous
ftp_users (still with password), and the people you want to have full
write ability become guest users.  It doesn't appear to support per user
permissions, though there is something in the man about allowing people
who have permissions on a directory to alter it.  Maybe you can create
users for your function, give them the permissions you want, and have
your user a and b login with the created roles.  You'd have to play
around, I haven't.