Wide, flat, & weird : HP w2207h with F8 & F9

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Sun Jun 22 18:44:25 UTC 2008

	I've been running several F8 and F9 machines behind a KVM switch
against what seemed the current high-end monitor in local stores. (My old
LCD, which was 1280x1024, died suddenly.)

	The first weirdness, of several, is that my three PCs all handled
it well enough to be usable under F8, albeit not optimally -- they try
variously to treat the display or the hardware, or both, as anything from
1280x1024 to 1680x1050 (which is what it is), and often fail when they're
over 1280x1024.

	This is the case even though I do my upgrades, and especially
installs, with the subject machine out from behind the KVM switch,
connected directly (and alone, of course) to the peripherals, so that it
can do any necessary negotiating with them, unimpeded by the KVM switch.

	(In the past, that has sufficed. Once they're configured, they
can be put behind the switch again.)

	One machine actually shows *almost* the model number (w2207,
without the h) -- but that's not in the list of all monitors that Fedora
knows about.

	Is there some secret driver somewhere that I should be getting?
One reason I bought this on is that HP is supposed to be linux-
friendly ...