linux - scientific

Michael Hannon jm_hannon at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 19:01:58 UTC 2008

We use Scientific Linux a lot at work.  It's a recompiled RHEL, similar to CentOS.  We use it mostly for servers and have been happy with it.  It has very good community support via their mailing lists, and the people that build it (at Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory and CERN) are very responsive.

Note that Scientific Linux, as with other "enterprise" distributions, typically does NOT include bleeding-edge applications.  It places where we need those, we use Fedora.  The trade-off here is that a given version of Scientific Linux will typically be supported for three years or more, while Fedora needs to be updated about once a year.

Another thing to note is that Scientific Linux does not meet the same purity-of-essence standard as Fedora: the distribution contains software that is free and useful but not GPL'ed.  The University of Washington pine email client used to be the canonical example of this.  I guess that "alpine" has now made that particular package moot, but the principle still applies.

-- Mike