Wireless problems.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Sun Jun 22 20:32:03 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> I've had this F8 box working perfectly for the last 4 months or so and
>> for some reason now (and I assume this is due to the last round of
>> updates, but I don't know for certain, my wireless link (linksys 54g
>> card) refuses to come up and connect. In dmesg I get lots of 'link not
>> ready' messages.  And even though the card was set to startup on boot,
>> I had to unset and reset that option to make that work.
>>
>> Even when I manually set I set it up, it doesn't want to come up.  The
>> module is loaded, it just isn't behaving.  Could it be kernel related
>> perhaps?  I don't know where to start debugging this, since it all
>> LOOKS right.
>>
> First , what version of Fedora you using
> Second , give the output of /sbin/lspci -v on your wireless card

Fedora 8.  (that's in the OP, but not real noticeable)

lspci -v

02:09.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
	Subsystem: Linksys WMP54G ver 4.1
	Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 21
	Memory at e8100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=32K]
	Kernel driver in use: rt61pci
	Kernel modules: rt61pci

The only thing I've changed on this box recently has been the kernel and
associated updates.

It's not changed position, or anything like that.  The AP moved about 10
feet, but until the beginning of this week this box worked great with
the AP in the new spot.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support