F9 - sendmail won't send on startup?

Knute Johnson linux at www.knutejohnson.com
Sun Jun 22 20:45:11 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
>>> I feel that you missed my point.
>>>
>>> If you are going to rely upon configuring sendmail on each machine on
>>> your LAN to deliver e-mail, you need to have working DNS and some
>>> knowledge on how to configure sendmail. That's what's required to fix
>>> it. You are choosing your own burdens here.
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>
>> I understand you perfectly.  However there is no DNS problem as I can
>> read mail from the server, the browser works and I can ping.  There is
>> some new problem with F9 that is causing this or something that works
>> differently on F9.  This has worked fine on every version of Fedora
>> since 1 and it works fine as soon as I restart sendmail.
> ----
> But I am running F-9 and sendmail and don't get those startup errors...
>
> [root at lin-workstation ~]# grep 'Name server timeout' /var/log/maillog*
> [root at lin-workstation ~]# grep 'Name server timeout' /var/log/messages*
> [root at lin-workstation ~]# chkconfig --list sendmail
> sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
>
> so it seems as though you do have some DNS problem somewhere.

Why would only sendmail have DNS problems and only before it is restarted?

> And I assure you that if there was an inherent problem with mail
> delivery on Fedora-9, we'd be hearing plenty of moaning.
>
> but since I have a server on the LAN that handles mail delivery (both on
> the LAN and to the Internet), it's a waste of time for me to configure
> each local system to deliver e-mail when all I need to do is just use my
> server for smtp connections and if necessary, simply configure a
> workstation to use my server as a smarthost.

It takes about 30 seconds to configure.

> Thus when I see you using e-mail addresses with zones (www) and errors
> resolving them, it seems to me that it's simply errors caused by your
> configuration which seems to be unnecessarily complicated and requires
> that you notch up your troubleshooting capabilities.

Only sendmail and only before it is restarted after that it works fine.

> I recall that on Fedora 8, NetworkManager sysv init ran rather late in
> the startup series but checking it out now, it starts much earlier and
> certainly before SendMail so that shouldn't pose a problem (which is why
> I suggested putting an entry in /etc/hosts).
>
> Craig

The entry in /etc/hosts did not solve the problem.  That's the main
reason I don't think it is a DNS problem.

If you are bored, set your thunderbird to use localhost as the SMTP
server and try it.  And try to email your local server so you are sure
it isn't some ISP blocking problem.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson