Wireless problems.

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 20:56:31 UTC 2008

Mark Haney <mhaney <at> ercbroadband.org> writes:

> Yeah that would probably help.  Actually, I'm just connection.  It's a
> wireless card but no encryption involved.  It's a straight up

Yes but how are you trying to connect?

Do you have a simple /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0?
Do you have onboot=yes in this file?
Then are you doing ifup wlan0 to try and connect if it is not running at
boot time?

Or do you have wpa_supplicant for an open connection? You can use
wpa_supplicant to make a simple connection with no encryption.

What is the output of ifconfig as root?
What is the output of iwconfig as root once connected.

Is dhclient running after you boot up?
Do you set a fixed ip address in the ifcfg-xxx file?

I think if you send some of this information people can offer some
advice...