F8 All multi media is TRIPLE SPEED!

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 06:23:48 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 20:15 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> everything at double-triple speed!
> Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> multimedia engines installed on this box.
> I have no idea where to start!
> Any idea please?

Shoot it, to put it out of it's misery, Nat.

I also have no idea where to start, if it's -all- playback apps. If it's
just one or two that are related, there must be something configured
very wrongly in their setup.

I know xine and others can fast speed forward through key
bindings ...single key presses. Like the right arrow key, it speeds
things up in Xine. Have you installed a new keyboard, new mouse or some
Croatian version of ASCII? I know of nothing in KDE or Gnome to have
that effect, system wide.

New scroll mouse? Try turning the scroll down or up to see if it has
effect? Slap some keys randomly? (This could get really good!)
<chuckles>

Call 911 to have an ambulance come and use the "Jaws of Life" on the
cabinet to let the demon out?

Reverse the speakers so it would run slower? If everything starts
running backwards, you're getting closer. Adjust your tin foil, too.

If worse comes to worse, get a copy of "What the "BLEEP!" do we know"
and, through the power of your "intentionality", either bend the
computer to your will by your influence on the electrons on the system
buss, or speed yourself up 2X. Then, either way, you will become one
with the computer and be in sync so that the audio/video which now runs
within the influence of your intentionality.

Or, the computer's ...whichever one of you wins out. Maybe the rest of
us have already become merged (noticing nothing abnormal) and you're
just the last affected by the "intentionality" of Fedora and, most
likely, KDE4 or PulseAudio. Or ...maybe you slowed down.

I'm adding more tin-foil before it happens to me.

More Human than Hu-man. Computer Zombie Ric
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_AaiBfLn5VE

p/s your problem is so weird that I hope you don't mind me having some
fun with it. It's late, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339