Wireless problems.

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Jun 23 16:24:11 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:

> I will mention that when I reboot, and I look in 'Network' in GNOME,
> that I see 2 wireless cards listed.  Originally, it showed 'wlan0' and
> 'wlan0.bak', along with 'eth0' and 'eth0.bak'.  I don't know how that
> happened, but I'm wondering if kudzu doing something.  Even when I
> deleted the wlan0.bak option and rebooted, same thing.

I think this is part of the completely crazy pre-NM WiFi setup.

NM is crazy too, but in a different way.

Did you try, incidentally, "iwconfig wlan0 essid <whatever>"?
Do you have the ESSID set in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ?

Also maybe worth trying "iwconfig wlan0 MODE Managed" or "MODE AdHoc".

Ps I'm not a WiFi guru, just a sufferer from it.