F9 - sendmail won't send on startup?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jun 23 15:43:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:33 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'm sure you know much more than me about this,
> but if you want logwatch to be sent to another local computer,
> I think you have to change the entry
>
> dnl # DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA')dnl
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp, Name=MTA')dnl
>
> as shown in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc .

I had already done that, quite some time ago.  There would appear to be
quite a few problems with letting NetworkManager control the network.

On my laptop, still running Fedora 7, I decided to use Network Manager
as its connection to a network could change at a moment's notice.  I had
to change the order of various init scripts so that other things would
work (NFS, for instance), and add scripts to the Network Manager
Dispatcher so that NTP, for example, would work (restart the NTP
daemon).

It was quite a pain.  I couldn't do the really obvious thing, and start
Network Manager really early, as it needed some other things first.  And
other network init scripts needed moving further back so that the
network would be up by the time the system had got around to them.

This box, running Fedora 9, is a desktop on a LAN that doesn't really
change much.  So I see no point in banging my head against a brick wall
trying to fix up Network Manager.  I don't need it, and it's too damn
badly implemented.  It starts too late, by default.  And at least
sendmail and NTP need restarting after it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.