Wireless problems.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Jun 23 15:53:24 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> I will mention that when I reboot, and I look in 'Network' in GNOME,
>> that I see 2 wireless cards listed.  Originally, it showed 'wlan0' and
>> 'wlan0.bak', along with 'eth0' and 'eth0.bak'.  I don't know how that
>> happened, but I'm wondering if kudzu doing something.  Even when I
>> deleted the wlan0.bak option and rebooted, same thing.
>
> I think this is part of the completely crazy pre-NM WiFi setup.
>
> NM is crazy too, but in a different way.
>
> Did you try, incidentally, "iwconfig wlan0 essid <whatever>"?
> Do you have the ESSID set in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 ?
>
> Also maybe worth trying "iwconfig wlan0 MODE Managed" or "MODE AdHoc".
>
> Ps I'm not a WiFi guru, just a sufferer from it.

See, on my other wireless system (laptop running Gentoo), I always fire
up my wireless this way with no trouble, no matter where I am. (Uh, the
manual CLI way) The script I use has never failed me to launch iwconfig
and then bring up the interface.

In Fedora, even from the CLI I cannot get the interface to connect.
It's UP, from the standpoint that I have an entry in ifconfig that tells
me it's up.  The modules are loaded (and I've tried load/unload).  I've
tried the other AP modes and still nothing. I just don't understand what
changed in a week.  This is the one system I haven't wired because of
it's location and so far I've not had trouble with it.

At this point, I'm tempted to try Gentoo on it and see if that makes a
difference, just to make sure it's not some weirdness with Linux in
general with that card.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support