Wide, flat, & weird : HP w2207h with F8 & F9

Beartooth Beartooth at swva.net
Mon Jun 23 16:53:36 UTC 2008

On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:54:23 -0400, Raymond C. Rodgers wrote:
	[...]
> My HP w2207h worked fine with both F8 and F9 on an ATI Radeon HD3850,
> and in fact the clean install of F9 I did didn't even bother to ask me
> what resolution I wanted to run the monitor in, it just set it
> automatically to 1680x1050.

	Well, it's good to know it can be done -- already. I had a
problem with an LCD monitor on my first install of FC1, so bad that I
eventually went back to RH9 until the developers got to that monitor.

> Sorry I'm of no help, but I do have a
> question for you on this monitor & Fedora: Have you found a way to get
> the monitor to actually display any of the text mode terminals (say
> alt-control-1) without going to sleep because the signal is out of
> range? I've had the monitor for about two months now, and I'm frustrated
> that text mode access is out of visible reach, and the scaling settings
> don't seem to solve the problem.

	Unfortunately, I know nothing whatever of those terminals. I just
keep a gnome-terminal on workspace #1, with half a dozen tabs open, and
do everything CLI from there  -- unless I want to use the machine I'm on
to work on another. But even then, all I do is put another gnome-
terminal, with different background colors, on a different workspace.

	I *have* seen this monitor give me an impaired view just long
enough to let me log in, and then put itself relentlessly to sleep; and I
have not found any way to overcome that. I'd also be glad to know if
there is one -- maybe ssh into the machine from a better-adjusted one,
become root, and edit xorg.conf; but I've tried that a couple times
without success ....

	Btw, with that spelling, are you related to our family friend Kay
Rodgers, formerly of LC?

Fedora 8 & 9; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.4, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9, Firefox 2 & 3