Can't read/mount SD flash memory card in builtin reader.

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jun 23 19:43:21 UTC 2008

Richard Shaw wrote:
> I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
> card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
> Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
> card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
> pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
> inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
> about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
> labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
> issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
> it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
> it fine.

What do you get if you run "parted -l /dev/mmcblk0"?

What does running "lsmod | egrep 'mmc|ricoh|sdhci'" produce?

It sounds like the reader may be in the wrong mode. But my
experience is with the TI version of the built-in reader. It is also
possible that the ricoh_mmc module is not being loaded.

Mikkel