Blue screen and yum / not yum

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 21:33:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 21:02 +0000, tony.chamberlain at lemko.com wrote:
> First I will be glad not to "top post" as soon as someone tells me
> what it means ;-)

It means inserting your reply before the quoted material you are
replying to, instead of after it (like I'm doing here). Some people find
this intensely annoying as it makes it hard to follow the trend of a
conversation, especially when multiple replies and replies to replies
are all together.

BTW, your message appears to be a reply to something but a) isn't
threaded and b) doesn't quote anything at all, making it hard to
understand the context. (Since I think you're replying to me, I do
understand it, but the list is read by many people and is also archived,
so having a message out of order and with no internal clue as to context
means it's more likely to be ignored).

When I say your message isn't threaded, I mean it doesn't include an
the messages they reply to and allows the better sort of mail client to
show the messages together in a "thread".  This is probably because you
used a webmail system and some of them are broken in this respect. Note
that it's not enough simply to use the same Subject: line, as subjects
tend to repeat a lot especially on mailing lists.

Sorry if you already knew all this.

poc