FC9 x86_64 powers off unexpectedly

Roger Heflin rogerheflin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:23:31 UTC 2008

Dan Farmer wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My system has been spontaneously powering off once or twice a day for
> the last week or so. The obvious candidate would be thermal issues, so
> I took some steps to improve cooling and I believe that is fairly well
> resolved. At the last power off that I was present for I checked the
> CPU temp in the BIOS when it booted up and the temp was 45 degrees C.
> I also tweaked some settings related to cpu voltage and powersaving
> settings that seemed to help a bit (?). But still my longest run of
> uptime has been about 18 hours.
>
> I recently built this sytem, the specs are as follows:
>
> System specs:
> Fedora Core 9 x64_64
> 500W power supply
> Core2 Duo E8400 proc @ 3Ghz
> 4 GB RAM
> GIGABYTE GA-EP35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 motherboard
> nvidia geforce 8800 GT
>
> I've built plenty of systems before that never have had problems, but
> I wouldn't completely rule out "build quality" I suppose -- I just
> think it's unlikely. Can anyone give me some direction on what else I
> can investigate? Any log files, BIOS settings (I know that's a little
> out of the scope...), etc?
>
> Thank you! Other than the intermittent loss of power I've really been
> digging FC9 :)
>
> -Dan

I don't know about that Intel's, but on some AMD MB the higher end cpus would
cause machines to power off, the issue was that the MB in question was not
testing at all with the higher cpu speeds, and the higher cpus pulled too much
power and resulted in MB power components overheating, the initial solution was
to put a bigger heatsink on the power components, the later solution was to use
a larger power component, you may be able to test this sort of theory by having
a fan directly blow on the MB to keep everything nice and cool, you might also
use a temp meter and measure the temps on various components and see if anything
outside of the cpu is getting too warm, or you could using the powersavings
setting in Linux to not allow the cpu to run at the highest speed, if not
running at the highest speed helps, then it could be overheating, or causing
some other component to overheat.   Also without something cpu intensive running
the cpu temp may not mean anything, if you do get something cpu intensive to
run, that may cause it to fall over fairly quickly.

                                 Roger