F8 All multi media is TRIPLE SPEED!

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 00:40:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 11:09 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 20:15:06 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
>
> > Running Fedora 8 32 bit on an Intel 1.6ghz. (This box has run Fedora
> > since FC Test 3.) (Latest yum updates.)
> > About 2 weeks ago, my sound/video system started playing back
> > everything at double-triple speed!
> > Actually video seems like double speed but audio is like 3-4x!
> > Over the time in years from FC3, 4, 5, 6, 8, there have been various
> > multimedia engines installed on this box.
> > I have no idea where to start!
> > Any idea please?
>
> Try lower-level tools like "aplay" to play a test WAV file.
>
>   $ rpm -qf $(which aplay)
>   alsa-utils-1.0.16-3.fc8
>
> Disable pulseaudio if it is running (the process has the same name), then
> try again. If everything is still 3-4x faster, boot into the previous
> kernel version. That way you may be able to find out that something
> in ALSA in the kernel causes these problems.

merit. That would be about all that it could be?? Is this a notebook?
For the life of me I cannot think of anything that would do this across
the board of all the various "players" of sound or video. I could see
something mis-configured in Xine causing the problem, but mplayer
wouldn't duplicate that with a different playback scheme of keyboard
bindings and setup files.

If the OP has more than one kernel installed, maybe try using the older
one? In my years, I've never heard of this one. And, is this just
happening to a few homebrew audio/video files or all audio/video files?
Like it you went to youtube, are their files playing at a higher than
normal speed? There's gotta be something somewhere to use to narrow down
the problem. You would hope, that is. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
https://oar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 336-254-1339