Can't read/mount SD flash memory card in builtin reader.

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 02:01:40 UTC 2008

2008/6/23 Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>:
> Richard Shaw wrote:
>>
>> I am having trouble getting Fedora 9 (x86_64 live cd) to read my SD
>> card using a built-in Ricoh MMC reader on an HP 8510 laptop (Core 2
>> Duo). I get mmcblk0 and mmcblk0p1 in /dev but any attempt to read the
>> card fails. I see an icon in Nautilus but after opening it and a brief
>> pause I get an error "Can't read superblock". Also, any attempt to
>> inspect the device in parted or fdisk also fail. They both complain
>> about lables but I'm not sure if they are talking about filesystem
>> labels or volume lables. I can't see why the latter would cause an
>> issue. I tried the mklabel command in parted setting it to msdos but
>> it couldn't complete... I'm in Windows XP right now and it's reading
>> it fine.
>>
> What do you get if you run "parted -l /dev/mmcblk0"?
>
> What does running "lsmod | egrep 'mmc|ricoh|sdhci'" produce?
>
> It sounds like the reader may be in the wrong mode. But my experience is
> with the TI version of the built-in reader. It is also possible that the
> ricoh_mmc module is not being loaded.
>
> Mikkel
> --

Well, now that it WORKS here's some info...

Output of partd -l /dev/mmcblk0:
Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 1024MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 1      31.7kB  1024MB  1024MB  primary  fat16        boot

[root at localhost fedora]# /sbin/lsmod | egrep 'mmc|ricoh|sdhci'
mmc_block              18688  2
ricoh_mmc              12544  0
sdhci                  23564  0
mmc_core               52800  2 mmc_block,sdhci

I don't remember ricoh_mmc loading last time... The only thing I can
think of that I did differently was boot up with the media in the
slot... must have made it load the ricoh_mmc module.

Thanks,

Richard