how to reduce the font size in emacs?

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 13:37:28 UTC 2008

* Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk> [20080624 15:31]:
> Hi,
>
> I have the following in my ~/.emacs file
>
> ;; Display settings
> (setq default-frame-alist
>       '(
> 	(width . 100)
>         (height . 70)
>         (font .
> "-adobe-courier-medium-r-normal--17-120-100-100-m-100-iso8859-1")
>         (mouse-color       . "Pink")
>         (cursor-color      . "Pink")
>         (background-color  . "Black")
>         (foreground-color  . "White")
> 	))
>
> The above is to make the font bigger not smaller, but you get the idea ;)
>
> You need to choose the font to suit what you want. I use xfontsel for this.

Shift-Mouse1 gives you a menu to select with. You can also do
$ emacs -fn 7x14
on the commandline, or edit .Xresources and add the line:
Emacs.font: -xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--16-160-72-72-c-80-iso10646-1
for example. Then to make it take effect
$ xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

There are more ways I am sure, but these works for me.

> Chris
>

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   i've poked around and i can't figure how to decrease the font size
>> when running emacs on the desktop.  hints?  please?
>>
>> rday
>> --

>> Robert P. J. Day
>> Linux Consulting, Training and Annoying Kernel Pedantry:
>>     Have classroom, will lecture.
>>
>> http://crashcourse.ca                          Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

Anders Karlsson <anders at trudheim.co.uk>
All-Round Linux Tinkerer & RHCE