use wireless router as wireless NIC?

Adam Hough adam at gradientzero.com
Tue Jun 24 16:55:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 11:29 AM, max <maximilianbianco at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:51 -0700, Dave Stevens wrote:
>>
>>> I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys
>>> wrt54g wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to
>>> another office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double
>>> we'd
>>> like to share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or
>>> how I
>>> can program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and
>>> get it into my box? F7 if it matters.
>>>

> Yes it is possible to setup a something like that is you have a WRT54G that
> supports DD-WRT.

 Go see if your version is support here:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

If your WRT54G is supported then you can flash the WRT54G with the dd-wrt
firmware.  Once flashed you can have your router be a wireless bridge to the
other wireless network.  There are some other steps that I am leaving out
because I do not remember them all as it has been months since I setup
something like this.