Wireless problems. UPDATE

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Tue Jun 24 21:24:11 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>>> It did.  Until a second reboot. Then they came back.
>>
>> In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface>, is there a
>> HWADDR=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx line?
>>> The problem is, I don't know what the problem is, so don't know what
>>> to file.
>>
>> It probably doesn't make too much difference, in the sense that wherever
>> you file, you'll get help troubleshooting.
>>
>> If none of the connectivity tools leads to a connection, I'd probably
>> start with the kernel (Linville's beat), suspecting that it's a wireless
>> driver issue.  It can always be reassigned later if troubleshooting
>> leads you to some other component.
>>

> Probably not a bad idea. Yes, there is a HWADDR= line.  And it matches
> with the address that shows up in dmesg.
>
> I noticed you're at Clemson.  I was down there last month for CIDays.
> The campus is much prettier than I remember the last time I was there.
> (Which, sadly, was the Fumble-rooski Bobby Bowden pulled against you.)

Well, I figured since I was having trouble getting wireless on my F8
desktop, that I would go ahead and upgrade to F9.  Was not as pleasant
an experience as all my previous upgrades have been, however.

On my first attempt to upgrade the system hung right at the end of the
install process causing me to start over.  Fortunately, the second try
finished the process correctly and I could boot into F9 fine.

X didn't come up clean, but a reconfig of the display fixed that.
Something I've /never/ had to do on previous upgrades.

However, from the CLI my wireless card came up beautifully manually,
including using a static IP address.  For some reason dhcp6c didn't get
me an IP address from the AP.  Weird.

Anyway, now I'm really wondering, why the hell are there so many F8 rpms
still left on this box?  I use no 3rd party repos at all on this system
since most everything I need is in the standard repo.  I upgraded using
the F9 DVD so it wasn't like nearly everything wasn't available from the
install media.

So, for now, I'm happy, I have wireless back on this box.  I'll let you
know how it works after maintenance and some reboots.  Thanks to
everyone for all the help.  As always, the Fedora list is the best one
around.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support