Fedora 9, multi-monitor, multi-card woes

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Tue Jun 24 21:45:43 UTC 2008

Jeffrey M. Hardy wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> From FC1 to F8 inclusive, I have used the same hardware to have a
> fully-spanned desktop using three cards across four monitors.  Rather
> than being too ambitious at the moment, I am merely trying to get
> three separate non-cloned desktops across three different cards.  Here
> is lspci output:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17GL [Quadro
> NVS] (rev a3)
> 05:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
> MX/MX 400] (rev b2)
> 05:01.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
> MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

We see that a lot here.  What is happening is that no single driver will
handle both of those cards.  Your choices are:

1. (recommended) dump the $20.00 MX 400 for something made this century. :)

2. run both the legacy and the new nvidia drivers.  This is a REAL PITA
and takes a level of expertise nearing black magic to make work.  If you
are not a wizard class admin, don't attempt it. :)

When my users bring be machines with mismatched junk video cards to
install, I tell them strait up that for the time it would take to make
it work, I could make enough money to buy a new top of the line Nvidia
or ATI card.

Think about it.

Good Luck!