use wireless router as wireless NIC?

Steven Tardy sjt5 at its.msstate.edu
Tue Jun 24 22:03:26 UTC 2008

Dave Stevens wrote:
> I have an office that moved recently. Before it was using a Linksys wrt54g
> wireless router, dsl from the telco (telus). Now it is adjacent to another
> office set up the same way. Rather than continue to pay double we'd like to
> share the cost and the connection. Can anyone suggest whether or how I can
> program my router to pick up the wifi signal from the next office and get it
> into my box? F7 if it matters.
>
> Dave

you need to put your wireless access point in "client mode".
you will probably need a standalone wireless access point.
(combo wireless/router/dsl/switch/kitchensink devices usually cannot do this)
i use a linksys WAP54G to do this:(page 40 of the WAP54G-v3_ug.pdf details "client mode")

[pc]...[wirelessAPinClientMode]))   (([FriendlyNeighborhoodWirelessAP/dsl modem]