#4 -- how to not lock the screen

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Jun 25 05:24:13 UTC 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, g wrote:
> i have gone back thru old post and tried again to locate just where kde hides
> config for locking desktop, it still evades.

I did find, rather someone on the list told me,
but it didn't matter.

Thank you for the effort.

I discovered the program: /usr/bin/gnome-screensaver .

I have no idea why it was running on a KDE desktop:
My desktop has a captital K stepping in a gear in the lower left corner.

>From another virtual terminal,
xwininfo -tree -root
showed me a 1280x1024 window named gnome-screensaver.
I couldn't xkill it, but ps gave me its process ID.

As a stopgap, I copied it to another name, removed the original,
and made an empty file with all-zero permission bits.
Presumably this will cause me trouble at update time.

> in a previous post, i suggested 1 -> 4, you tried 1, 2. no joy, which leaves;
>
> 3) r & r kde.
> 4) someone else this list | kde 'tech list' | read source.
>
> now, i would suggest skip #3. there was no 4-a. i doubt you want to go thru
> 4-c.

I didn't understand r & r anyway.

> so best bet would be 4-b. if that fails, then return to 3) r & r kde.
>
> 5, which i did not want to mention, if 3 does not work, would be r & r 'x'.
>
> fedora list is where kde 'hackers' hang out.
>
> i do believe that you will get a favorable response from kde as that is where
> actual 'writers' for kde hang out and they do respond to post.
>
> i do wish i could have helped you find a solution, but it was not meant to be.
>
> so, from my firefox bookmarks:
>
> K Desktop Environment  =  http://www.kde.org/

> another suggestion, if you want stable, 'centos' or 'scientificlinux'. i tried
> 'centos' a few kernels back, removed it after about 10 minutes of wading thru.
>
> at that time, it just was not what i needed, so i am now going to install
> 'scientificlinux'.

These are other distros, right?
I'd read of scientificlinux lately, but don't remember where.

> with 'higher level of minds' that are involved with 'fnal' and 'cern', i do
> believe 'scientificlinux' will be more to what i need and have been looking
> for.
>
> good luck to you in finding a solution and even more so at ndus.

Thanks.

"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)
are called Hardware;  those program instructions that you can only
curse at are called Software."