F8 -> F9 rpms -- Complete bollocks.

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Wed Jun 25 14:31:38 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:
> I mean it doesn't even look
> like there are F9 equivalents for various F8 packages I would call
> 'important' like fedora-usermgmt-shadow-utils.  Part of the problem is
> that yum update completely implodes with dependency problems because of
> these legacy RPMs.  I know some of them have F9 equivalents that were
> installed, but not all.  I'm still working on a way to grep for all the
> packages that have both F8 and F9 on that system so I can remove the
> older ones.
>
> So, can someone explain to me why this is so?  Or give me a way to find
> the duplicate packages a little more painlessly and dumping the rpm db
> into a file and manually looking for them?

Okay, I have more information on this.  I think my rpmdb is completely
FUBAR.  This is what I'm seeing when I 'yum update php' (for example)

ependencies Resolved

  Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Updating:
  php                     i386       5.2.6-2.fc8      updates
1.2 M
  php-cli                 i386       5.2.6-2.fc8      updates
2.4 M
  php-common              i386       5.2.6-2.fc8      updates
227 k
  php-ldap                i386       5.2.6-2.fc8      updates
  30 k
  php-mysql               i386       5.2.6-2.fc8      updates
  79 k
  php-odbc                i386       5.2.6-2.fc8      updates
  47 k
  php-pdo                 i386       5.2.6-2.fc8      updates
  61 k
Installing for dependencies:
  openssl                 i386       0.9.8b-17.fc8    fedora
1.4 M

Note, all these are FC8 updates (apparently).

Now, when I query rpm for php packages I get this:

[root at sulla temp]# rpm -qa | grep php
php-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-ldap-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-odbc-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-pdo-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-mysql-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-cli-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386
php-common-5.2.5-7.fc9.i386

So, it looks to me like I have F9 packages installed (at v5.2.5-7) but
that the /updated/ php version is 5.2.6-2 F8?  I'm getting the feeling
this upgrade wasn't as complete as the GUI told me it was.

Now, what do I do to fix this?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support