Wireless problems. UPDATE

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jun 25 16:42:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 10:01 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> dhcp6c is the IPv6 dhcp client right?

Yes.

> Okay, that being the case, what app does Fedora use get an IP from a
> dhcp server?

"dhclient" to get an IPv4 address from a server.
"dhcp6c" to get an IPv6 address from a server.

> On my laptop it's dhcpcd

No, that's the DHCP server daemon that doles out addresses.

> What daemon does Fedora use for dhcp?

Try:  yum search dhcp

===================================== Matched: dhcp =====================================
dhclient.i386 : Provides the dhclient ISC DHCP client daemon and dhclient-script
dhcp.i386 : DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) server and relay agent
dhcp-devel.i386 : Development headers and libraries for interfacing to the DHCP server
libdhcp4client.i386 : ISC DHCP IPv4 client in a library for invocation from other programs
libdhcp4client-devel.i386 : Header files for development with the ISC DHCP IPv4 client library
NetworkManager.i386 : Network connection manager and user applications
avahi-autoipd.i386 : Link-local IPv4 address automatic configuration daemon (IPv4LL)
avahi-dnsconfd.i386 : Configure local unicast DNS settings based on information published in mDNS
cobbler.noarch : Boot server configurator
dhcp-forwarder.i386 : DHCP relay agent
dhcp-forwarder-sysv.i386 : SysV initscripts for dhcp-forwarder
dhcpv6.i386 : DHCPv6 - DHCP server and client for IPv6
dhcpv6-client.i386 : DHCPv6 client
dnsmasq.i386 : A lightweight DHCP/caching DNS server
gdhcpd.i386 : GTK+ administration tool for ISC DHCPD
libdhcp.i386 : A library for network interface configuration with DHCP
libdhcp-devel.i386 : C header files for development with libdhcp
libdhcp6client.i386 : The DHCPv6 client in a library for invocation by other programs
libdhcp6client-devel.i386 : Header files for development with the DHCPv6 client library
libdhcp6client-static.i386 : Static archive for libdhcp6client
nagios-plugins-dhcp.i386 : Nagios Plugin - check_dhcp
rarpd.i386 : The RARP daemon.
revisor-cobbler.noarch : Revisor Cobbler Integration
wifiroamd.noarch : Automatic WiFi connection (re)establishment daemon
wlassistant.i386 : Wireless network management tool

But what are wanting to use as your DHCP server?  The same computer?  A
different one?  I thought you wanted to use your access point as it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.