How to find and clear zombie processes w/o rebooting?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Thu Jun 26 01:33:36 UTC 2008

Using F8, I have found that Nautilus sometimes hangs and
runs at 100% CPU.  Force killing Nautilus's drive windows
was the only way to recover.  I am not sure that force killing
this drive window is related to the zombie that I founding using
top.

I also discovered that my swap was increased to 2GB of 4GB
and has stayed there ever since.

So before I accuse Nautilus as being the zombie process, how
do I locate it using ps or some other tool to find out what is
going on and to what process the zombie was?

In the same breadth, is there a way to clear zombie processes
without being forced to reboot the system which would certainly
remove the zombie process and clear the swap space?

Thanks!
Dan