Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10? I want it too !

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Jun 26 16:08:28 UTC 2008

On Thursday 26 June 2008, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>David Boles wrote:
>> Arthur Pemberton wrote:
>>> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
>>> <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Well the main idea behind PA is to eradicate that problem since it
>>> will be a super set
>>
>> And, as I said, I have no problems with Pulseaudio. Why? Well I have a
>> desktop
>> with 'normal' hardware. I don't have anything fancy. And, for me Fedora
>> works
>> 'out of the box'. Actually I normally (currently) run rawhide and I only
>> have
>> the 'development breakage', to be expected, from time to time.
>>
>> I won't name, on the Fedora list, the other Linux distros that I have
>> installed and that run with no, or minor, problems. But there are nine
>> of them.

Awwww, Gee.  We still have the 1st amendment here.

>> So? Am I just lucky? Or do I just have compatible hardware? Or do I just
>> not
>> try to do "strange things'? I can't say.
>
>Have you ever tried to use a microphone or line input for recording or
>telephony? I have four system, all of which worked pre-PA, none of which
>work with PA, all of which work with PA removed, for both ALSA and
>simulated OSS applications. So if trying to get sound into the computer
>is "strange things," then I guess I do them.

As do I, David.  And PA wrecked it all until I had gotten out the knife and
removed as much of it as I could.  This is not to say that something like PA
isn't potentially useful, but to ship a completely broken PA, and then the only
help offered was the advice to remove it, seems to be highly counter-productive
to getting it, or something like it, working.

However, here on this system PA was a solution (if it worked, I'm dubious) in
search of a problem I didn't have.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)