What is the matter with fedora 9?

Stephen Berg (Contractor) stephen.berg.ctr at nrlssc.navy.mil
Thu Jun 26 18:53:55 UTC 2008

Bill Davidsen wrote:
> fedora wrote:
>> Hi every
>>
>> What is the matter with fedora 9?
>>
>> it introduced a NetworkManager which prohibits networking.
>
> NetworkMangler has been around since FC6 (at least), by making it the
> default it became impossible to ignore. It does the right thing in
> cases where you have one hardwire or wireless connection which can see
> only one AP. For all other cases wait for the human readable
> documentation which will be here... or maybe not, since it was coming
> with FC7, 8, and 9.

After about a dozen installs of Fedora 9 I cannot agree with you on
that.  On every system save one there is only one network connection, in
each of those cases it's been /dev/eth0 and NM would not enable the
connection by default.

Maybe there's documentation on the way that will make NM a breeze to
configure but until that time it's out the window.  I disable the
NetworkManager service and enable the network service during kickstart
installs.  All my systems have a statically leased DHCP address and it
works just fine.

Bottom line for me:  NM breaks far more than it fixes.