What is the matter with fedora 9?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jun 27 12:52:16 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> One problem for a lot of people is that NM does not open the network
> connection until the user logs in. This is a problem for anything
> that needs a network connection before you log in.

I agree.
What is the rationale behind this decision?
It seems very strange.

I've found scripts in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ very useful
for counteracting this "feature", eg starting NFS mounts over WiFi.

Incidentally, is there such a thing as NetworkManagerDispatcher now?
It is mentioned in the ridiculously short NM man page.
Which does not mention any files in the home directory
that are written or read by NM;
I assume there must be some since NM waits until login to start?