GRUB menu video mode

I am using a flat screen TV for a monitor that is VERY picky about video
modes. I have bulled through installation with various hacks, and have X
working, but now I cannot sync to the GRUB menu screen to make boot
choices.
I am looking for info on how to set video mode that GRUB uses for the
menu, either as a menu option or compiled in.