slmodem and kmod-slmodem

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 27 17:57:59 UTC 2008

--- On Fri, 6/27/08, François Patte <francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr> wrote:

> From: François Patte <francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr>
> Subject: Re: slmodem and kmod-slmodem
> To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Friday, June 27, 2008, 6:44 AM

Francios,

slmodemd with alsa should be kernel independent.  Unless it is the other slmodemd, the one that supports smartlink modems.  If it is the first one,

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/SLMODEMD.gcc4.3.tar.gz

should serve the modem in your laptop.  If it is the latter, then they are kernel dependent and there have been troubles compiling in 2.6.25.X kernels.  There is new code that compiles under 2.6.25.X at

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/slmodem-2.9.11-20080625.tar.gz

The code compiles a slamr.ko module, but does not copile a slusb.ko due to problems with usb??? If you compiled previous slmodem-20080417.tar.gz code, you would see something like

FATAL: modpost: GPL-incompatible module slusb.ko uses GPL-only symbol 'usb_unlink_urb

There shall be a new version coming out soon for the newer kernels if they have access to this new code :).  If you need if faster you can try and compile it and report back/sucess failure.  If you decide to compile the code, I'll relay your report to discuss at linmodems.org.

HTH,

Antonio