Fedora/grub bug -- I think ?

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Fri Jun 27 19:26:14 UTC 2008

Thanks Mikkel;

On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 12:28 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> William Case wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 2008-06-27 at 08:13 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> >> Dumb question - is this a brief flash, like the video changing
> >> modes, and not a longer pause between displays of the menu?
> >
> > Not a dumb question. The flash lasts about 1/2 second.  Just long enough
> > for eyes to catch a Fedora blue screen, the word Fedora at the top of
> > the screen, and, the beginning of a menu box being written.  Then the
> > screen blanks for 2 - 3 seconds ( I have tried to count the times off)
> > and finally the splash image is fully redrawn.  When it loads for the
> > second time the Fedora name is at the bottom.  I mention that in support
> > of your idea it may be the video changing: maybe in the first instance
> > the splash image is not getting drawn properly.
> >
> > Another thing, this started in F8.  I hadn't made the connection until
> > now and it just might be my frustration making invalid assumptions.
> > Keeping in mind I don't boot THAT often in order to always notice
> > exactly when the issue started.  But, two or three months ago, I
> > installed a new motherboard switching from an ATI video card to a Nvidia
> > on board video chip.
> >
> It sure sounds like a video mode problem. I wonder if grub-install
> store the VESA mode to use, and it needs a different mode for the
> ATI card then the Nvida card? I do not know enough about that part
> of Grub to know for sure. But if that is the case, you would have
> thought that the updated Grub package would have fixed that when it
> installed.
>
> Mikkel

As I said, the double splash image doesn't prevent me from doing
anything, so I'll let it sit for a couple of days.  If no one (including
me) comes up with a solution, I will file a bug against it.

I just had the objective of after the fresh install of F9, working on
cleaning up all the cruft, annoyances and problems I had accumulated and
thereby have a washed, dried and polished system.

--
Regards Bill;
Fedora 9, Gnome 2.22.2