selinux advises restorecon unknown?

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Fri Jun 27 22:05:13 UTC 2008

I just installed FC8 x86_64 on a Dell Precision T5400. I then
installed nmap. I ran nmap. SELinux signalled that something was
wrong. I looked in the log, then I ran  sealert -l 47<blah-blah-blah>
and it advises me to "try to restore the default system file context
for <Unknown>, restorecon -v <Unknown>".

a) What should I do? I am guessing

# touch /.autorelabel
# shutdown -r now

b) is this a bug?

I googled (selinux "restorecon -v unknown" bugzilla fedora). Lots of
hits, no general solution I could find. Many with similar problems
eventually figure out which file actually is causing selinux
unhappiness, but I have no clue how they figured it out. Anyone spare
a clue?

Dave

side note - after that I ran yum -y update, the screen has gone black
and does not respond to anything, including cntl-alt-del or
cntl-alt-backspace. No fair!